Parking & Safety Tips
While we consider downtown Lexington a VERY safe place, below are some parking safety tips that you should consider when parking anywhere.
Before you park:
- Always Lock Your Doors
- Roll Up and Lock Your Windows
- Do Not Leave Valuables In Sight - (phones, pagers, purses, wallets, etc., invite theft)
- Put valuables and packages in the trunk or out of sight before arriving at the parking facility.
- If you have the option, choose a parking spot that is well-lit.
- Do not hide a spare key in or on your car - it can be found
- Be Aware and Report any Suspicious Activity Immediately to the Lexington Police Dept. 258-3600 or for emergencies dial 911.
After you park:
- Walk with a confident and positive attitude.
- Don't Walk Alone At Night.
When returning to your vehicle:
- If possible, return to your car with an escort or in a group.
- Have your door key in hand.
- When approaching your vehicle look inside before entering to make sure there are no unwanted occupants. After entering, lock all doors.
- Once inside the car, lock the door and start the engine. Start moving the car as soon as possible after getting situated.
- If there is any concern for personal safety, for any reason, notify the Police immediately.
- Avoid desolate areas that are lightly traveled and, when possible, walk to your vehicle with others.
- Never offer rides to people you do not know.